Posts Tagged 32bit
If you need TranslationHub (Windows only) for your forms and reports development and plan to move to one of the following
- 12c Database for your TranslationHub repository
- 12c Forms/Reports (only available for 64 bit Windows)
- higher version of 64 bit 11g Forms/Reports
then please immediately stop! None of this combination works with TranslationHub!
For the last point I had created enhancement request 14155931 back in June 2012!
For the first point I had created a service request last week I and get following answer:
Unfortunately, OTH is no longer supported or being developed. Customers can continue to use OTH as-is.
About the errors, based on today’s standards, OTH has several limitations:
- It is a 32bit product and expects to co-exist with a 32bit DB and optional Forms/Reports installation. 64bit installations will not work.
- Likely OTH will not work correctly on newer operating systems like Windows 8.1 or newer. It likely will also not be stable on Windows 7-x64 either, although it may generally seem to function.
- It may be possible to use a version 12 database as the target database for OTH projects, however this has never been certified and therefore shouldn’t be supported if issues arise.
Although Oracle currently do not have replacement for OTH, the Forms team is working on a possible alternative that may be available in the future. If customers require the use of OTH immediately, they should consider installing and using it in an environment that was previously certified for its use.
The Oracle Technology Network Forums should be considered (for the customer) if there are questions about OTH.
Product Management is aware of the importance of this situation.
Any news regarding OTH will be published on Forms’s OTN page, however, for the moment, unfortunately, there is not much we can help with, in Support.
As 11g Database and 11g Forms will run out of support soon in my opinion Oracle has immediately to provide a working 64bit TranslationHub for 12c Database and Forms as long you has no replacement for this tool.
What do you think?
Update: See the according discussion on the forms forum.
As I have seen in Oracle certification matrix Forms & Reports 11g 64bit is supported under Windows7 64bit. So I tried to install it and to work with it. Unfortunatly there are serious bugs in it, please read for more information MOS Doc ID 1395965.1:
- After starting Reports Builder, trying to open “Data Model” or “Web Source” will crash the Report Builder
- Impossibility to create a Query based on a Pluggable Data Source (PDS) in reports builder
- Reports Builder spins on CPU (grabbing full power of one CPU) when “Copy/Paste” functionality is used in Layout Model
For 1./2. is a workaround to disable all Pluggable Data Source (PDS) in cauprefs.ora, if you don’t use that feature.
But for 3. is no workaround besides to use Forms & Reports 11g 32bit!
TranslationHub 11g is only available as 32 bit – requires Forms & Reports 11g too in 32 bit for Development
I have done the whole may scripting silent installs of several developer tools. Among them was Fusion Midleware 11.1.2 Forms & Reports. I see that oracle certifies the 64bit installers on win7 64bit and so I have successfully script this after a lot of time. I want not speak about the many errors in silent installers here.
As we use TranslationHub for translating our forms, menus and reports, I tried last weeks to script this and after this to batch import all my original and translated modules as 11g versions, as this is required before roll out fusion middleware to our users.
First I have seen that TranslationHub is only available in 32bit as standalone version outside Fusion Middleware. Additional there is no silent installer available for this separate package. Asking support for 64bit version and silent install option results in two enhancement requests. Everybody who has created such an request before know, that he does not get this in some weeks, very likely he got it never. Fortunatly our scripting boys have recorded and repackaged this installer. The 32bit version installs on win7 64bit and starts.
But now begins the really horror: I could not see forms and reports in the import wizards, my batch jobs fails. The 32bit TranslationHub version seems not find the 64bit Forms version. So the work begins again – I had to script the 32bit version of Fusion Midleware 11.1.2 Forms & Reports for the developers. Fortunatly this works very similar to 64bit, and I complete this package in several ours. Now
One additional note for TranslationHub: You must ensure that the first entry in the path variable is an 32bit Oracle Client for succesfull connect to your TranslationHub repository.